In October we are returning to Calais Refugee Camp to set up ten bike powered phone charging stations alongside operating a mini cafe from the Food Rescue Ambulance and dropping off supplies.
For the #Pedal Power Project we need:
- BIKES! We need this ASAP so we can start building! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07944724215
- tents, clothes, shoes etc (winter coming up so warm stuff)
- non perishables foods: rice, flour, sugar, tea, coffee, lentils etc
- hand tools
- sim cards
Read below about our April trip:
In April we set off to Calais Refugee Camp along with Embercombe Apprentice Mission 2015 where we set up a temporary kitchen in the New Jungle described as a ‘ desolate wasteland, in the shadow of the motorway and a chemical factory on the outer edge of Calais. ‘
We served over 3000 meals over 4 days in 3 different migrant camps: Galloo Squat in the town centre, Leader Price near the Euro Tunnel and the biggest camp the New Jungle by the ferry port.
We also distributed 100 food packs containing 2 kilo sacks of lentils, flour, toothpaste, coffee, tea, bombay mix, millet, granola and wheat.
We set up a solar powered phone charging station using the solar panel installed on the Food Rescue Ambulance.
We made many friends who are living in the Jungle for various reasons.
- Some have spent years ( up to 10) seeking asylum in countries across Europe and have been rejected from all only to finish in Calais the last place left.
- Some have been seeking asylum in France but are receiving no support from the French government so have to live in the Jungle whilst they wait.
- Some are waiting to cross to the UK because they have friends and family living there, or have heard that the UK has the best employment opportunities since the recession hit Europe ( many have left Greece and Italy due to the lack of work).
- Some have been living and seeking asylum in the UK for several years and have been deported/left voluntarily and don’t know what the future holds.
The people we met came from Eritrea, Syria, Ethiopia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Egypt, Pakistan, Somalia and are fleeing persecution, conflict, torture and famine.